Thursday 18 July 2013

How I create my Nurgle Warband bases

I was asked to show how I make my Nurgle warband bases. Very happy to do that so here it is. I took the pictures on the fly so they are not the best quality but hopefully good enough.

1) Preparing the base

1.1 Pic 01: I use a texture paste and apply this to the base with a palette knife. This takes at least 12 h to dry enough to continue. 

01
1.2 Pic 02-04: This is the basing material. Basically stuff I found on a beach. I use a gel super glue that is a lot less hazardous than normal superglue and does not bond skins in a second (nice!)

02
03
04

1.3 Pic 05-07: I undercoat the base in Bestigor Flesh and attach the mini. Usually I don't finish painting the mini before basing. First I attach the skulls (from GW) and then the rest of the stuff.

05
06
07

1.4 Pic 08-09: Next up is applying the plastic putty (directly from the tube). I cover the cracks, skulls and add it all over the place.

08
09

1.5 Pic 10-12: After the putty dried for maybe 5 minutes I poke around in it with something sharp to make it look more interesting (resulting in pic 10). Not sure sure how long it takes to dry completely but probably at least an hour. In the meanwhile - I painted the mini in pic 11 (coming soon). After the putty is dry I base coat it in Bestigor Flesh.

10
11
12

2) Painting:

2.1 Pic 13-15: For the highlights I use a W&N series 7 size 2 brush. I prefer to use bigger brushes (if possible) and this is my very favorite. BTW: Just started to use W&N series 7 and they are magically however very pricey.

An important aspect of my painting is to build up the paint job with multiple transparent layers using very diluted paint (pic 14). This helps me with getting a smooth blend and also a nice luster. This is what I do with all my painting. So each of the step/color below is done a few times. As the paint is very thin it dries in a few seconds so there is no waiting time between the layer. I just continue with each color 'til I'm satisfied.

Pic 15 shows the colors to be used. As you can see it is only the latest addition of the Citadel paints. I was not a fan of the previous editions (except the first of course) but the latest one is really good in my opinion. They dry a bit too fast in the pot buy painting with them is pure pleasure.

13
14
15

2.2 Pic 16: Before highlights I do a wash of diluted Fuegan Orange.

16
2.3 Pic 17-23: Highlights

2.3.1 Pic 17: First out is Kislev Flesh. This I apply quite roughly and also in some of the recesses to remove some of the brightest orange.
17
 2.3.2 Pic 18: Next is Nurgling Green. With each step greater care is taken where I apply the paint.
18
2.3.3 Pic 19: Krieg Khaki (quite unnecessary step to be honest)
19
 2.3.4 Pic 20: Flayed One Flesh - quite like old Bleached Bone
20
 2.3.5 Pic 21: Pallid Wych Flesh (a new favorite).
21
2.3.6 Pic 22: Final highlight is with white and applied quite selectively.
22
2.3.7 Pic 23: The border is painted grey.
23


Allright - that's all. Merry lurking and a happy new paint job to you all :)

10 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT !

    THAT is some seriously useful tip you've given us low standard painters. I'm soon going to be in vacation near the sea and will definitely be searching for such pieces though I'll keep it for special minis like heroes and such...
    Showing how you dilute your paint is very good too. I've started painting with enamels some 22 years ago and learnt by myself and some tips in the WD but It's only a few years back I learnt in a interview of Bruno Grellier (same as last time) that to dilute the paint was the good way of doing it. It seems obvious but you never say it enough.
    I'll be using your tips as soon as I can, be sure of it!

    PS : I've found the white dwarves where the pics of Bruno Grelier's minis are shown but only one of them has the indian pattern I was thinking of, I don't know where I saw the rest.. I'll keep searching though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you find it useful and much appreciated that you are looking for Bruno Grellier pics. Do you know about which WD:s he appeared in (I'll can check on Scribd also)?. Have a great vacation on the beach and don't forget to bring you paints ;)

      À plus tard/Hans

      Delete
  2. Always interesting to see how an artist does his thang. Gotta say that your work is simply some of the most distinctive out there and your blog a pleasure to browse through. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words - much appreciated! /Hans

      Delete
  3. I totally agree about the gel superglue. So much more control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It's really good especially for stuff like bases and when there is a risk things can get a bit messy. I do use the "thin" one as well if I need a quick bond though. Thanks for looking! /Hans

      Delete
  4. Nice tutorial. Looks like I need more paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess any paints will do. These are just the once I use /Hans

      Delete
  5. Very nice. I miss living close to the beach, it's such a good resource

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do live by the coast in Sweden. This stuff I found though on a beach in Australia ... :)
      /Hans

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...